Just because Chipotle was just hit by another food poisoning scandal doesn’t mean you should stop eating at the burrito chain.
On Tuesday, news broke thatChipotle has closed a restaurant in Sterling, Virginia, after multiple reports of customers getting sick after eating there. The news causedChipotle’s stockto fall.
However, according to food poisoning expert Bill Marler, the apparent norovirusoutbreak doesn’t mean you should avoid the chain.
“A norovirus outbreaks tends to be just at one restaurant,” Marler told Business Insider.
So, unlike in acase of E. coli, which can contaminate foodbefore it is distributed torestaurants, locations in New York City are unlikely to be impacted by a norovirus outbreak inSterling, Virginia. As long as you haven’t eaten at that location before it was shut down, you should be in the clear.
In general, Marler says that he considers Chipotle a “safe” option that has done major work to improve food safety since its2015 E. coli outbreak. It’s a chain that suffers from bad luck and negative customer associations – not necessarily improper food preparation conditions.