Facebook has recentlylaunched Groups for Pages, enabling the 70 million+ Pages on Facebook to create their own unique communities and feeds.
More than 1 billion people around the world use Groups. And more than 100 million people see Groups as the most important part of their experience on Facebook.
Facebook Groups are the place to connect with other like-minded people and are becoming increasingly important for brands and businesses aiming to cultivate a community.
So how do you create a Facebook Group? And more importantly, how do you build an engaged community in your Facebook Group?
Let’s get started!
Facebook Groups vs Facebook Pages
A common question on this topic is: Should I have a Facebook Group or Facebook Page?
And it’s a tough one because Facebook Groups and Facebook Pages are increasingly becoming more similar.
For example, an advantage that Facebook Pages used to have is the Page Insights, which allows social media managers to understand how their Page and posts are performing. Now, Facebook Groups include built-in analytics, too – Group Insights.
Here’s a quick overview of the positive features for each:
- Built-in analytics (Page Insights).
- Call-to-action button (e.g. Sign Up, Book Now, Learn More) on your Facebook Page.
- Boost your Facebook Page and Page posts with Facebook ads.
- Like and comment as your Facebook Page.
- Add apps and services to your Facebook Page, so that your fans can easily order a product, make a booking, get a quote and more.
- Built-in analytics (Group Insights) now.
- Set your Facebook group as private (Closed or Secret).
- Post documents, create polls, and even buy and sell in your Facebook group.
- Group chat with your group members.
- Members recieve notidications about new posts to the Group.
Now that you can link your Facebook groups to your Facebook Page, maybe the answer to the question above is actually both.
In this post, we’ll focus on creating and managing a Facebook Group. If you wish to read up on Facebook Pages, you might like our guide on how to create and manage a Facebook Page for your business.
How to create a Facebook Group
Creating a Facebook Group is very straightforward. Let’s run through the important steps here:
1. Choose your Facebook Group name and privacy setting
To start, click on Group under the CREATE section at the bottom of the left sidebar on Facebook.
You can also find the same option under the drop-down menu in the upper-right corner of any Facebook page:
Next, fill out the basic info in the pop-up:
- Choose a name for your Facebook Group (You can change this later.)
- Enter the names of friends you want to add or email addresses of the people you want to invite to your Facebook Group (You have to add or invite at least one person.)
- Select the privacy setting of your Facebook Group (Public, Closed, or Secret)
Here’s a quick overview of the differences between the three privacy options:
For example, a public or closed Facebook Group could be suitable for a community of your customers while a secret Facebook Group could be great for exclusive groups such as VIP customers or beta testers.
If your Group is public it’s also worth notingthat anyone can see the posts and comments in your Facebook Group without having to join. If you want to protect the privacy of your members, a closed or secret Facebook Group will be more appropriate.
Once you’ve decided on the privacy options, hit Create.
You’ll be prompted to select an icon for your Facebook Group. If you don’t have a preference, Facebook will default to the generic Group icon ().
Now, you’ve set up your Facebook Group <img src="http://s.w.org/images/core/emoji/2.3/72×72/1f389.png" alt="